1. Every male on Vancouver Island, and quite possibly all of Canada itself, is named either Dave or Joel. Mostly Dave. This can be confusing in large groups, but makes meeting new people much easier.
2. In summer, British Columbia is perhaps one of the most beautiful places on earth.
3. There is such a thing as magicians and they are German. If, say, you are broken, the Germans will fix you. I believe they call this German engineering.
4. Being a foreigner living in Korea has its perks even when you are not actually in Korea, as evidenced by all the free, specially-prepared sushi presented to me by Nanaimo’s best Korean sushi chef, Sam at Tomo Sushi.
Kamsa hamnida, Sam. Mashisoyo!
5. Seeing unpredictably good live music in downtown Vancouver will reawaken every lost rock star fantasy in one’s head and remind one of how good it feels to make music with others.
6. I suck at Asshole.
7. The best F & C you will ever eat by the effin’ sea are served on Nanaimo’s waterfront from a small houseboat. It’s true, see?
8. There are reasons people go surfing and it’s not so they can overuse the word “dude”.
It all comes down to a few simple, focused hours with the waves. Just you and the cerulean water, in perfect harmony, just like every single day of your childhood summers.